The Freedom Fund has helped over 300 Bronx defendants avoid pretrial detention and its consequences.
What We've Achieved:
- The Freedom Fund has posted bail for over 300 clients since opening
- 97% of our clients return to all scheduled court dates
- 56% of our client's cases resulted in a dismissal of all charges
- Another 23% of cases resulted in a non-criminal disposition
- Only 12% of clients pled guilty to a misdemeanor (the results of the last 9% of cases were not tracked due to issues related to client confidentiality)
- Without Freedom Fund assistance, over 90% of defendants who can't make bail will plead guilty and forfeit their right to trial in order to get out of jail
Since opening in October 2013, 97 percent of our clients have returned to their court appearances, a compliance rate higher than that of defendants released on their own recognizance by judges. Since we get our money back when clients come to their court dates, nearly every dollar of bail money is reused more than once to assist clients. More than three out of four Freedom Fund clients' cases are dismissed or result in a non-criminal disposition. Our clients are able to keep their jobs, go to school, stay in their homes, and enroll in needed treatment and services while their cases are pending.
This decrease in incarceration on both ends of a criminal case results in enormous savings to taxpayers: a stay on Rikers Island costs the city an estimated $475 per night.
When a client's case closes, the bail is refunded into our revolving fund to help others in need.
Technical assistance and consulting:
We offer technical assistance to nonprofits who want to establish bail funds of their own. We have consulted with organizations and individuals interested in building charitable bail funds across the country:
- Brooklyn, NY
- St. Louis, MO
- Boston, MA
- Miami, FL
- Cincinnati, OH
- Memphis, TN
- Nashville, TN